IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MY ROAD TRIP PLEASE VISIT FEBRUARY 2011 ENTRIES

Blog Archive

If a guidebook mentions Helen's Sausage House in Delaware, and knows you call in advance from your truck, it's the one for me.


Roadfood by Jane & Michael Stern is a bit like a small telephone book, the ones they distribute in very small towns.  Oh dear, they have an awful lot of listings. Should we chase banana pudding or meat pies? Chicken and dumplings or hush puppies? I vote for anything containing lard. Cornmeal is a plus.

When I was a teenager, my cheerleader friend and I wanted to make sugar cookies for the bake sale.  Her mother had one cookbook which seemed to be rather, well, outdoorsy.  The recipe called for rendered bear fat. I guess that's as good as lard.

My imaginary boyfriend and I are perusing the tome in front of a roaring fireplace. Visions of orangeade dance in our heads.