IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MY ROAD TRIP PLEASE VISIT FEBRUARY 2011 ENTRIES

Blog Archive

I've found that road signs tell a very interesting story.  There were lots of Ridges in the mountains, which makes sense as the elevation was about 2880 at one point. My fuel problems were between the towns of Flintstone (foot power only?) and Accident. I summitted Negro Mountain, followed shortly thereafter by Friendsville. I guess this was post-Gettysburg. There was Pigs Ear Road. And my favorite, Cheater Lake. I imagined a frontierswoman in a calico dress and petticoats chasing up and down that lake, looking for her mister. The next sign was for Cheater Fork Winery. I guess that's what you need after all that cheating, but I'm guessing it used to be the site of a mighty fine moonshinery. Yes, I make up words. Get over it. What was that Sarah Palin word? Oh, refudiate. It was 2010's Word of The Year by The New Oxford American Dictionary. So there.

I also saw some interesting commercial zones. There was the Technology Area. No buildings, or even people of any kind for 10 minutes. Then there was a very large brick building on the top of a very, very large pile of dirt.  It looked like it had been strip mined, with chunks taken out in layers. I could imagine the evil backhoes doing their dirty work and causing disease in the working man's neighborhood. I guess this was the Technology Building.

Further down the road was the Polymer Application Area. No shit.