IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MY ROAD TRIP PLEASE VISIT FEBRUARY 2011 ENTRIES

Blog Archive

I drove from Gettysburg out west on Route 30, Lincoln Highway (but not really a highway; it's two lanes). It was one of the most rewarding stretches of americana. Unfortunately, the weather sucked and I didn't stop for stuff I should have. I passed:
  • A weathered old barn with Totem Antiques fading on the side, with tons of great junk peeking out of the snow
  • Thaddeus something-or-other's blacksmithy
  • Hundreds of six inch red paper hearts hanging from the lower boughs of six very large flat-leafed evergreens
  • A beautiful brick barn with candy-striped silo roof
An then I went by a national forest with Smokey The Bear on the sign saying Risk of Fire (wait for it): Low. Um, yeah. The nation is under siege with an enormous rain/snow/ice storm. I laughed out loud. 

Shortly later, a sign: Jesus is Cold. Oh, Lord. I was cold. I don't regularly run the heater, as I have found the correct combo of outerwear: long, brown Patagonia coat (covers the lap where the cold air comes in), Irish water-proof leather boots with the heavy Swiss socks my sister gave me for my birthday (I asked for them), and the royal blue quilted gloves (yes, they go with the other jacket, but God will forgive me).

It was lunch time I was hunting for a good home cooking place. Missed one on the left side. Later on, really angry that I didn't turn around. There are a lot of eating establishments with the cook's or owner's or owner's grandmother in the name. Here were some I passed:
  • Dodie's (closed for the season)
  • Scooters Inn "Scoot On In"
  • Benny's
I did turn around for Benny's. Pizza joint. Oh well. I found out the Woody can barely fit through the BN&T drive, through (you had to go through the lanes to get out).

I was getting into WalMart country once again. Quick. Find. Diner. At there it was: Chris's Country Kitchen. Chris is a girl. She is the cook. I had a great view of woody in the parking lot, as I am sometimes worried about Woody. I got a phone call. I never take calls in restaurants because it's rude. I took it anyway. I don't know why.

MY SON GOT INTO SEWANEE, EARLY DECISION (or action, I can never remember which, but it's the one that you agree you will go to if accepted)!!!!!!

I am off the hook. My child is hatched. He is his own problem now. His grandfather will be off my back.

I went and apologized to the nice old couple in the booth next to me. I really do think it's rude to talk on the phone in a restaurant. Anyhow, I had a good hot meatloaf sandwich and sad vegetables (they were mixed, and had some promise what with the limas and corn). I asked my thin-haired, grey-ponytailed, missing toothed waitress (they are not servers here, and I do not know her name because I forgot to ask) if the pies were good. I was deliberating between coconut cream and lemon meringue which are my tippy toppest favorites except for pineapple upside down cake). We both agreed it had to be the coconut cream. She went for it and came back empty handed. They were out. I tried the chocolate layer cake with peanut butter (it was $2.95 instead of the $2.10 pie, she made sure that I knew). Wasn't it good?, she asked. I smiled and said to myself, uh, no). The couple next to me was having a chicken sandwich. Or was it tuna? The cook couldn't remember the diner couldn't figure it out by tasting. They charged her for the lower priced one. The placard on the table advertised Yesterday's Chevy Truck. We fix all makes. The bottom of the sign announced Snow Plowing.

And now for Ed's Elephant Museum. The little tiny billboards that announced the attraction featured a jolly fat man stirring a pot of confections. Fudge. Homemade candy. It turns out that it's Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy Kitchen. I still wanted to see it. Fudge is pretty good road food. After a few more Burma Shave-esque signs, it appeared. Reopening on February 5.