IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MY ROAD TRIP PLEASE VISIT FEBRUARY 2011 ENTRIES

Blog Archive

Miss Linda left me at J&J. She hung around a little bit to make sure I'd be all right. She hugged me and put me on her prayer list.

Into the auto hospital I went. There was a large grey woman in the office. I didn't know there was an office. She is Caroline, Johnny's wife. She's trying to save him the money it would cost for a bookkeeper. She has heart and lung problems, and diabetes, and can't get health insurance. Couldn't afford it if she could. The man just came in and taxed the little pump they have in back. She's wondering where Obama's small business help is.

And there was Jerry (with a y!), leaning over the Woody's hood. It was like he had to steal the finish from Harold. He said they're pretty sure they'd be finished before quittin time. I told them I hoped they'd be finished by quittin time because I was going to have to stay right there until it was done. Johnny started her up and took her for a test drive. I know I am mixing up my sexes. I just can't figure out if Woody is a he or a she. Harold said "purrs like a kitten." Johnny came in and said "purrs like a kitten." I guess they all listen to a lot of cats.

While the two men cleaned up and did the paperwork, I asked Caroline if I could give him a bottle of whisky. Harold? Oh, yeah. And your husband. He don't drink whisky. And if he did, I bet Caroline would show him a bit of her own iron skillet. I gave Harold one of the bottles of the good Makers Mark 47 that I was going to give my car guys back home. I can get another.

The bill for two eight-hour days was $251.50. I gave them $300 cash and took off. Woody has a little bit of a tik-a-tik-a-tik-a again, but I think it may just be the gravel from J&J's driveway. I think they did something with the clutch, too. Doesn't grind into first much.

I love Harold. But I love Woody and the open road better. We left Monteagle in our rear view mirror.