One of my best buddies in college was a jolly, portly fraternity brother.  It was the disco era, and another one of the brothers decorated his party hat with YSL, a nod to the beginning of "designer" fever.  Nothing was coming between Brooke Shields and her Calvins.

It was also the debut of Animal House. 

Everyone could easily name who in each fraternity was which character.  Well, my friend was Flounder.  And we all could tell you what that meant.  In a nutshell:

Flounder, I am appointing you pledge representative to the social committee
Gee Otter, thanks.  What do I have to do?
It means you have to drive us to the Food King

and later

I'll have 10,000 marbles please

At some point we took liberties and my friend became an amalgam of Flounder and Bluto.  And then we called him Flo.

Every fraternity on the face of the earth was having toga parties, even if they hadn't been having toga parties. TO-GA, TO-GA.  Otis Day and the Knights. Shout became every event's highlight.  My Flounder always got up on a chair with his air mike and led the crowd in the little bit softer now, a little bit louder now part.

 Do you mind if we dance with yo dates? was a favorite drunken outburst.

Did you know that you can look on eHow and find out how to have a toga party? Seriously.

My imaginary boyfriend and I considered my current state of ennui:

This is ridiculous.
What are we gonna to do?
...Road trip!


And so we are going.  Hope to find Flo.