I'm not sure what happened.  My man-child is fragile. I have gotten strong. I adore him, I adore what I think he is, I adore the idea of him. He helped me get my groove back.  I hadn't thought about men for years before he came into my life.  I still have no interest in more appropriate men.  It was safe for both of us, I think, to have the age difference, the geographic challenge.  It worked as an almost-real imaginary relationship.  And then I got closer to wanting a real relationship, and he was still imaginary.

After I behaved badly, and felt horrible about it, I felt an enormous sense of relief. It was so visceral, so real, that I'm sure I'll remember where I was when I felt that, like a certain song brings me back to a poignant time in my past.  The calmness, I think, was the release of risk, the release of the uncertainty that comes with caring for someone.  And I am sad.