I was in the post office today, picking up a package from Norma, when the man ahead of me in line was mailing a bag of charcoal. Huh? I caught a bit of the conversation which went something like this:

You know how it is in the mountains.  There's some firewood, and I asked him what he uses to start the fires.  He said that he scavenges whatever he can get, some scraps of pressure-treated wood and so on.  Well, I don't want him breathing that stuff, particularly when it's burning. I told him I couldn't send the liquid, but I would send him a bag of charcoal. Don't worry, he said, they'll light it with diesel fuel.

Then it dawned on me.  The mountains were in a war zone.  I asked him if his son (I assumed) was in Iraq or Afghanistan. Afghanistan, he said.  As he turned to leave I told him to thank him for his service.  I will, the man said. My son always says that to military men (and women), and shakes their hands. His father is a Navy SEAL.

After the man left, Norma said to me that his other son was killed in Afghanistan.  And they sent this son to the exact same place.