Last night, the Holiday Inn nearly destroyed my beloved Macbook. I was typing and noticed that my lap was getting kind of hot (no, not that way, although I wish). The square thing that attaches the long power cord to the short power cord is about the size of 20 graham crackers stacked. I had a graham cracker burn on my thigh. I figured it was just the lamp dooley that you plug into, and the outlet itself would be just fine. Nope. Oh, god. I hope my computer isn't self-immolating, like an Indian bride who hates her husband. I tried another socket. Relief. Everything A-OK on that front. Bit of a noise in the background, so I unplugged the refrigerator. Was going to plug it back in in the morning, but I forgot.

I brushed my teeth (still only styrofoam cups, which I hate) and noticed that there is no Smart Coffee at Holiday Inns, only at Holiday Inn Express. These cups had little words in script around the rim: Espresso, Cappuccino, Cafe Mocha, Latte, Americano. Wow! This hotel has it all. Checked the little things that go in the wee coffeemaker. Just coffee, and not even Smart Coffee. False advertising.

On my way out, I told the front desk that they had a lawsuit waiting to happen. I told her the room had nearly fried my computer, burned my leg, and I was afraid of a fire. She said sorry. I asked her if she wanted the room number. She shrugged. Beat (that's be-at in Swiss to you) had finished his shift so there was no responsible management. No free breakfast. Didn't know the way to Graceland. This hotel is IN MEMPHIS ON A HIGHWAY.  Note to self: Holiday Inn Express only.

Time to hit Graceland! I took 177 pictures today, including the 5 pocket pix. As always, there is a special place in Memphis that sucked me in repeatedly. It was the Port of Memphis via I-55. I remember this I. It wasn't really bad, more like the tease of an octopus feeling you out but not doing anything about it. Anyhow, only had one u-turn. When I was pretty sure I had missed my exit, the lanes going the other way were absolutely at a standstill. I thought its a good thing I'm going the other way. Well, I had to go back that way because it was a u-turn.

Graceland is on Elvis Presley Boulevard (no surprise there), but Elvis Presley Boulevard is full of traffic lights and strip malls, and just plain busy-ness. The visitor center, a strip mall in its own right, is across the street from the mansion.

I always buy the VIP pass to attractions. You don't have to wait in line. I forgot that this is February so I basically got a $30 ticket for $75, but I did get the commemorative VIP badge. Graceland was the  biggest disappointment ever. You get to see a regular old 1970's home that some famous guy lived in, a bunch of rooms of costumes and lots and lots of gold records. And gift shops. Lots and lots of gift shops. On your VIP ticket are a bunch of little perforated tabs that are ripped off in each attraction, like it used to be in Disneyland when you had to use two E tickets to ride the Matterhorn.

We had our very own VIP shuttle across the street from the gift shops to the mansion. Here's Mott. It is not short for LaMott like our DuPonts are. It is Mott as in Mott's applesauce. We talked about colleges. His son went to Hampden-Sydney. His daughter-in-law went to Randolf Macon. The are of good backgrounds. I asked Mott if Hampden-Sydney was co-ed yet. Heavens no, and it will never be. Not until the government gets to it, I said. They don't take as much as a stick of butter from the government, said Mott in his gentlemanly lilt. Mott's speech patterns belied the southern aristocracy. He is retired from something. I guess he guides at Graceland for something to do. His wife probably wanted him out of the house. Anyhow, Mott explained that Hampden-Sydney was founded before the United States was, by Patrick Henry. All the schools were descended from this one, he informed me. There is a genealogy of southern colleges on the wall somewhere. University of Virginia is conspicuously absent. He asked the docent where the University of Virginia is. You see that little empty circle? That's for the University of Virginia. Thomas Jefferson thought that one was his. Mott's son wanted to go to W&L, but his grades weren't good enough. They told him to do one year at Hampden-Sydney and then come to W&L. He did one year and was so happy he never went to W&L. We arrived at Graceland and were informed that we VIPs could come out the back door, getting to see one extra room!

While I was interested that this was Elvis' house, it was more interesting looking at all the stuff that was exactly the same as the stuff in our house at the time, even wood paneling. Well to be fair, I don't think we had the stuff but maybe my grandparents did. Definitely my friends did. This is the dining room. They ate lots of down home cooking and had lots of fun.


The kitchen does look exactly the same as my grandparents, or maybe the Beiderman's. Check the oven.




Here's the living room. The white couch seats 15. Here is the stairs to go up to the private rooms. We must respect Elvis' privacy and not go up there.






 This is Elvis' man cave. I liked the bank of 3 TVs that he had put in when he heard that Jimmy Carter did this. Carnack the Magnificent and Tiny Tim were playing.

This is the pool room.
The torn felt at the back was from one of his friends trying a trick shot.


This is the jungle room? Are you kidding? It has a tiki bar and some fake fur on the furniture. It has green carpet on the ceiling to make better acoustics for when Elvis and his friends recorded some of his hits here (!).



This is Lisa Marie's swing set. We had one exactly like it. We always got our fingers squeezed in the hinges on the teeter totter kind of swing. She told us we'd be sorry.

This is Elvis' carport. He kept cars there.

This is where Elvis' dad smoked meat. Elvis used it as a shooting range.








This is his office. Note the typewriter and copy machine. My mother had the same typewriter. She used it to type when we dictated our term papers. She really wanted the Xerox machine.







There is lots and lots of Elvis stuff here. I like this stuff best. 

"Get set to dig me you cats- we'll go rockin' together in LOVE ME TENDER"






This is a gold record on behalf of the Norwegian Gramophone Industry. I thought gramophones went out with the bathtub gin.




Here is one for a cassette PHOTO. I didn't get that lucky. My car had aftermarket 8-track.











Didn't we all have a TV like this? You did if your dad was an up-and-coming executive. You all watched it together in the family room. Mom brought you ice cream sometimes.

Lisa Marie had cute baby clothes. Some were pink corduroy jumpsuits with the itty bitty wale. I had a lot of those. My mother made them.



I thought Elvis would be very happy that his signature was used everywhere.



There is a lot of fat Elvis costumes on display. Wait! Elvis wasn't fat! I can tell by these clothes.











Here is his grave. There is a pink wreath from his Japanese fan club.







There is a plaque for his stillborn twin. He was buried someplace else, but they lost him.






Did I tell you there are a lot of gift shops here? There's even one that let's you build your own Elvis bear.


I was hungry. Checked out the Chrome grill. Very small cafeteria with meatloaf. Decided on other place.

Had grilled peanut butter and bananas, Elvis' favorite. The onion rings were my idea. Wanted the coke in the commemorative glass bottle for 99 cents but they said they weren't allowed to open it there. Had to buy $2.79 small fountain drink instead. Later found out from coffee mug in gift shop that Elvis' recipe had mashed bananas. This one had sliced. I want my money back.

This is where XM  broadcasts the Elvis channel from. Dave Shelby is the d.j. I wanted to ask him why my XM doesn't work. They wouldn't let me.










I had to tear off one of the little tab things on my tickets to get to see his plane, the Lisa Marie, gold-plated seat belt buckles and all. He stocked Gatorade and had a blue suede bedroom. The potty really does have a sink flecked with gold. Elvis bought the plane for $200,000 and spent $800,000 to fix it up.


All the plastic covers were added to "protect the artifacts." I had a friend once whose mother always had the furniture covered with plastic slipcovers. That was just in case anyone thought of sitting on anything.





TCB means Taking Care of Business. The lightning bolt was his personal logo (see man cave). They later made lightning bolt jewelery with TLC (tender loving care) to sell to fans. I bet they sold a lot. Did I tell you they have a lot of gift shops at Graceland? The other plane, for the roadies, has Citrus Green and Florida Yellow seats.






Here is one of many signs I saw. After each exhibit that you had to tear off one of your tabs to get into, there is a gift shop. They probably had about 12 (?). Unbelievably enough, each one has different stuff.

This is Tawanda. I asked her what they sell the most of. "Everything," she laughed. Later some smart white guy told me that was an Elvis thing, that in a famous interview when asked what he missed most about Tennessee he said "everything." I don't think Tawanda was making an ironic reference.  This is just call me Ja-Ray. He works there too.




OMG! Brad can play with cardboard Elvis! There are two of them! I found them in different gift shops. Now I can have an imaginary Elvis to go with my imaginary boyfriend, my almost-real imaginary boyfriend, and my used-to-be imaginary boyfriend. We have a basketball team!


Elvis had a car museum. He liked cars. His Rolls Royce Silver Cloud was bought my Michael Landon, Little Joe of Ponderosa fame. Well, that was how I knew him. He had some Melissa Gilbert series about Little Houses that went on until she reached puberty.

Elvis rode his golf carts, tractors and snowmobiles on his lawn with his friends. Here are some of them.

The tractor was painstakingly restored by some local technical college. This guy was really interested in it. 

Pink Cadillac. Need I say more?


I can't remember what this guys name is, but I asked him if got really busy in here in other months. He said yes. Sorry about the photo. It was dark and he is black.

My almost-real imaginary boyfriend has a car named Petunia. This is the same color. Separated at birth?



You can buy your very own Elvis outfit for $3,400. I talked to the Merchandising Manager about it. They'll make it to just your size. Of course these are pinned back... Wait! Fat Elvis was Fat Elvis after all. They probably pinned his outfits back! I gave it a thought. Hmmm... no back views of costumes. Yup. Fat. I also asked if they sell very many. She said yes, mostly impersonators. And, you know, people from Australia.


Elvis was gangsta before his time, said some famous black studio guy (I have no clue) on the video. He had bling before it was bling. And he had this outfit, I noticed.


I couldn't find the place where you go for the exhibits using two of my perforated tags. They are across the way in Graceland Crossing.

There is also a Harley David store there. Ca-ching. Tourists already have their wallets out, and are tired, and gee, here's another gift shop. At the last exhibit there were about three things on the wall and a gift shop. I told the lady that I had never had to pay to get into a gift shop before. Oh no, the exhibit is back there... and then she got what I meant.

This is Patty. She took care of Woody when I was in Graceland. She said that even though she let me park in the handicapped lot, that I should have parked closer to the guard shack because they were constantly going out there to tell people they could look but not touch. 

This is Brad. I could only get him near the Lisa Marie.


This is me and Brad with Bobby McPhearson from Tuscaloosa (you know that song don't worry, be happy, Bobby said, I didn't write it). I asked his wife Gail why they came there. Because she wanted to. I asked here where I should go next. Tullahoma.

These are three guys and a kid who wanted to see the engine. The little girl had gold edges at the side of her teeth. I've only seen that on old black guys. I wish I had taken a close up.