I have been running into tons of trailers potentially for Woody. As you know, I am taken by MaryJanes Farm's teardrop. Love, love, love it. Vintage aluminum trailers of any variety are often called canned hams. You remember canned hams, don't you? Those were the ones with the red and white printed pictures of a luscious pineapple-topped holiday ham. We didn't get the fancy real ones then. Canned was a delicacy of its own. I think they were expensive. If you remember them, you remember the shape. Get it? Teardrops are called teardrops because, well you know. Teardrops may be a subcategory of canned hams if they are aluminum.

Boler1-238x178.jpg
Boler1-238x178.jpgThen I went to Canada and was introduced to "the egg." Egg is the generic term for fiberglass trailers made roughly between 1965 and 1975. They are 13' or 16' long and you can stand up in them. You cannot stand up in a teardrop. The eggs in question are Bolers. They weight under 900 pounds (for the 13') and have a cult following. There are bunk beds and a dinette into a bed thing and a refrigerator and the kitchen is inside. This is a Boler. This is a Boler too. I will not tell you where they are for sale as I may buy one or the other. My fellow Tourist is having hers painted purple and silver to match her car. She will use it for car shows where you need a place to sit down. She will not be traveling in it, I think. Woody will be able to tow a Boler but it is much less aerodynamic than a teardrop and will probably be more of a burden.


Passing through Big Fork, Montana, visited Ford V-8 Flathead Museum (!). Original teardrop trailer!

IMG_3150.jpgIMG_3149.jpgI have never seen one before. MaryJanes looks just like it but prettier because it is new and was designed by a cool girl. Plus, MaryJane will give you backup lessons and a free book and I think MaryJane is groovy. Sat and pondered original trailer. Very similar. Should I look for an old one? Or should I just jump aboard MaryJane's train? Hmmm. I do know that the old one has a kind of tent that shelters your kitchen in the rain and also lets you dress standing up. I need to get one of these. I wonder if MaryJane knows about those. I'll have to get her one.


Here's another old trailer which is wood which is good for Woody. But it's kinda awkward and probably heavy.

Now getting to the important stuff: stuff to do. I love the Boler because they have Bolerama. I could go to Bolerama and check out all the cool Bolers to buy. And I hear it is a drunken love fest. Check out the names of the meets: Prairie Egg Gathering, Fourth Annual Alberta Omelette, Scrambled Egg Meet.

But there are also things for teardrops and for vintage trailers in general. Boy, is there a lot to do.

Check this one out: Sisters On The Fly. "We have more fun than anyone." Count me in! You can win merit badges. Really. I was a fabulous Girl Scout. Since I was tiny and had a whole lot of badges, they went up the back of my sash too. I think I still have it. I have earned Potty Outside Badge already. My honeymoon with SEAL was kayaking and primitive camping in the Exumas. You had to bring your own fresh water and no showers until the end of the week. That salt crust sure was sexy. Don't think marriage was consummated that week. I was a city girl and could not, would not pee outside. SEAL gave me a shovel and pointed out the nice view behind the boulders. Had to learn or face monumental bladder infection without even a glass of cranberry juice. Also have Purple Heart Badge. See Ron The Hun. Want to earn The Cowgirl Prom Badge. And I can do this regardless of my choice in trailers. Also Tin Can Tourists, although I'm not quite sure if they would let a Boler in, even if it's vintage. How about Teardrops Travel? But hold on a second pardner. Bolerama. Canadian beer. Think about it.